Casita maintains a large library of fiction and non-fiction books. Students in grades 1-5 check out books during their regularly scheduled classroom visit when the importance of being a responsible library patron is stressed through the learning of basic library skills. Students must return books on time and in good condition in order to check out a new one. Both parents and students can check out materials after school on Wednesdays between 3:00 - 3:30pm.
Casita students have access to technological tools for research and exploration. These include an on-line card catalog which is networked allowing the student to access the library collection, on-line tele-communication services, electronic encyclopedias and checkout system. Computers are available for student use. Internet access allows students to use the internet as a resource under adult supervision.
Whether your child is five years old or seventeen years old, you might want to review the following guidelines for Internet Safety with them:
- Talk with an adult to set up rules for going online: time of day, how long, and appropriate areas to visit.
- Tell an adult right away if you find information that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Be a good "online" citizen; do nothing to hurt others or against the law.
- Never agree to get together with someone you "meet" online without first checking with a parent.
- Don't give out personal information without your parents permission: name, address, phone, photo, parent's work number, school name or location. Keep information about you and your family private.
- Do not respond to messages that are mean, or make you feel uncomfortable. Tell an adult right away.
All external sites will open in a new browser wndow. VUSD does not endorse external sites.